If your running started in school it is very likely one of your first races was the mile. You have also probably wondered periodically what you could run for that distance now. Maybe you could run faster or maybe not. However, there just are not too many opportunities to race the mile. There is now!
If you are an adult onset runner, especially in recent years, you may have never thought about racing a mile. After all, why would someone pay to run one mile? Good question. Let's see if I can give you a few reasons to race the Monumental Mile.
1) It is one mile straight down Meridian Street finishing at the circle. Traffic is shut down on what could be considered the main street of Indianapolis, so you can see how fast you can run one mile. How cool is that?
2) There is a race for everyone. There is a race for kids, masters, open, and even a community mile for the whole family. And then the races are topped of with an elite mile.
3) You will recover much faster from a mile than a half marathon allowing you to enjoy the festive atmosphere of the circle on a beautiful June evening.
4) It is an easy measuring stick to duplicate to test your fitness.
5) The Mile is a great symbolic kick off to your training for other fall races.